This simple gaeran mari I made only had onions, but you can add almost anything to your gaeran mari - shredded carrots, green onion, a sheet of nori, anything you can chop/shred finely and allows you to roll up the egg.
Gaeran Mari - a semi original recipe.
Ingredients (for two people)
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white (or one egg yolk, whichever you prefer.) Two eggs alone are good for a 10" frying pan. If you have a 12" one, you can go with 2 eggs + 1 yolk/white, or even 3 eggs. Experiment to see which cooks up the best for you.
- green onion (three stalks)
- shredded carrot (2 tablespoons, just about.)
- pinch of salt and pepper
1. Crack eggs into a bowl.
2. Cut green onions into the bowl. Add the shredded carrots. Add a pinch of salt, and a dash of pepper. Mix to combine.
3. NOTE: If you are using regular onion, use half of a small onion. Dice finely, and caramelize before adding eggs to the pan. They need extra time to get soft.
4. Heat up your frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease the pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the pan, and swirl around the pan to distribute evenly.
5. Cook until the egg sets.
6. If using nori, lay the sheet of nori on top of the egg and allow to get warm.
7. Going from left to right (or right to left, whichever is more comfortable for you) roll the egg over in one inch sections, like you're rolling a roll-up.
8. Remove from the heat, and cut into one inch pieces. Serve as a side dish with other korean banchan dishes, or as part of a lunchbox as a main dish.