Monday, February 14, 2011

Spinach and Two Cheese Ravioli

A month ago, I'm in the grocery store and I see wonton wrappers on sale.  Because I'm a sheep for sales, I grab them and throw them in my cart without a plan on how to use them.  (Well I guess I could make wonton...)

Two weeks ago I notice I'm nearing the expiration date and start making plans for the wonton wrappers.  Since I didn't feel like making wonton, I decide to make ravioli instead.  Wonton wrappers are a good stand-in for ravioli wrappers, especially if you don't feel like making a ton of dough.

I wanted to make a non-meat based ravioli that wasn't butternut squash.  I couldn't think of anything until I stumbled on Tyler Florence's Spinach and Three Cheese Ravioli.  Awesome!  The thing I really enjoyed about this recipe is that it is very similar to the cheese filling I make for lasagna. 

First, I want to apologize for the quality of the pictures - I had my P&S camera on hand, and I didn't want to unearth my DSLR.

Second, Tyler Florence is going to hate me because I monkeyed around with his recipe to suit my needs.  A lot.  The base of the recipe came from his however, and this is where the credit should be given.

Mmm.

A quick note on making ravioli with wonton wrappers - I used one wrapper per ravioli.  After they cooked up, I realized that was probably not the brightest idea.  You need a thick wrapper for the ravioli to stand up to the boiling, and the two wrappers should be strong enough.  Ooops. 

Spinach and Two Cheese Ravioli, adapted from Tyler Florence's Spinach and Three Cheese Ravioli with Sugo Sauce.  My changes are in parenthesis.

Ingredients:
  • 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
  • 2 8 ounce balls of fresh buffalo mozzarella, water drained and shredded.  (I used 4 ounces of already shredded Mozarella out of a bag.)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan (I completely forgot this step and didn't add it, but feel free to add it if you wish!)
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped. (I used 1 package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained of all liquid.) 
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • salt and pepper.
  • 1 package of wonton wrappers (about 48 wrappers a package)
Directions:

1.  Combine cheese, spinach, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl, mixing thoroughly.

2.  Take one wrapper, and place a teaspoonfull sized amount of cheese in the wrapper.  Add more if you think you can seal it without it bursting or popping out the sides. 

If you use less filling, use water to dampen the edges and fold over, making a triangle.

If you use more filling, use water to dampen all four edges, and place another wrapper on top.

I went with the half sized ravioli.

3.  When you have filled all the wrappers, set water in a large pot to boil.

4.  If you are not going to eat all your ravioli immediately (this recipe makes a lot...) lay the ravioli on a parchment lined sheet pan.  Make sure they are not touching each other.  Place in the freezer, and freeze for at least 30 minutes, but preferably one hour.

After an hour, remove from the freezer and place inside of plastic baggies for storage.  You can boil from frozen in the future.

5.  When the water boils, drop in the ravioli one by one.  Allow to boil for at least 4 minutes.  They will float to the top when ready.  Remove from the water one by one with a slotted spoon and place on the plate.  DO NOT DRAIN IN A STRAINER.  They still stick together and it's a pain to separate them.  (experience here...)

6.  Serve with your favorite sauce.

My favorite sauce is a simple tomato sauce from Lucinda Scala Quinn, which will be a future post.

If you have a great, crusty bread to go with this meal, or even some garlic bread, serve along side the ravioli and enjoy.

Lesson from today:  get a better Point and Shoot camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment